Sunday, May 13, 2007

Goodbye Holly, we will miss you!!!!!!!











Saturday May 12, 2007 we had to put our beloved dog Holly down. As many of you know she was 13 years old and not doing so well. She had had cancer twice and she went through surgery and then she began to have problems walking. Recently she began to loose control of her bowels and got another lump which was also cancer. Through alot of contemplating on what we should do we came to the conclusion that we just didn't want her to suffer. It was and still is very hard for me. I have had Holly for almost 11 years and she was my buddy!!! She moved away from home with me when I didn't have anyone else here and really kept me company for a long while. She was the best dog anyone could ask for!!!! I feel like a piece of my family is missing and it hurts!!! We are all going to have to adjust to Holly not being around any longer. We decided to put Holly to sleep back home so that we could bury her at my mom and dad's house. Dad went with me while I took Holly in. I got to stay with Holly the whole time. I just talked to her and told her how much she was loved and that we would miss her soooo very much. The vet made a clay molding of her paw for us with her name engraved in it. Dad buried her out back of their land and he made her a cross that read Holly 5/12/07 and he also planted some flowers on her grave. Our house seems a little empty without her here. Lily is doing pretty well, we told her Holly went to Heaven because she was sick. So everytime you ask her where Holly is, she says Heaven. She has asked for her a couple of times but we just keep reminding her that Holly is in Heaven. Lola, our other dog is also having a rough time. This morning I asked Lola if she wanted to go potty and she jump off of our bed and began looking for Holly to go outside with her. You just have to know Lola, she always wanted Holly to go outside with her. Lola seems to not be herself today and she really didn't eat that much. It's so sad because I know that Lola feels like she lost her Buddy. I feel the same way!!! We love you Holly, Thanks for being such a wonderful dog for so many years!!! We'll miss you!!!

6 comments:

Britni said...

Christy,
I am so sorry!I cried when I read this.I am sad I didn't get to say goodbye to Holly.I can't imagine how sad you are right now.My family has had to put down animals before and it is always hard,but I know I will have a harder time when it's my own pets....I know it was the right decision to make.I am glad she went peacefully and with you by her side.She was a good dog.
Love you,Brit

Anonymous said...

Christy, Chad & Lily
It was a very sad day for all of us. Holly was a wonderful dog.You did the right thing. She is not suffering now. Her quality of life was not good. I remember when she lived with us, she loved to run around the back yard with Dad. She would follow him when he mowed the lawn. I am glad Dad was with you. We will miss her! Love Mom & Dad

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Christy, Chad & Lily... we had to put our Pug down after only 3 years. What beautiful pictures of you and her and it brings tears to my eyes... it is soo hard they are like a part of you and almost like a kid... god bless you and I hope your family can find strength in your memories of Holly!!

Anonymous said...

We know so well what you all are going through, having stayed with 6 beloved dogs and 4 cats when we put them down...all in the space of 3 years....
I am so glad you were brave enough to see her through it. We have so many clients who just can't make themselves stay, so one of us holds their beloved pet for them and stays with them. But I always feel it's so much more comforting to have the owner there.
Holly was such a great dog...the very best! She had a wonderful life, and she made the most of it!
I always encourage people to get one of those big photo collage frames, and dig out all your best and favorite photos. It's very therapeutic, and is a great way to honor her memory.
Love, Marty

Beth @ Through the Eyes of the Mrs. said...

I am sorry Christy. It is never easy. I promise you though that she is no longer having any pain or suffering. It will take a long time to adjust. I am sure everyone will miss her for a long time. I am glad that she is home with your mom and dad. We are thinking of all of you.

Allison said...

I'm so sorry about Holly :( You had me crying too. Dogs really are a part of the family. The clay paw print was such a nice idea. I remember after our dog died I would go sob by her paw print she left in the concrete on our back porch. I hope you guys are doing better. I think you guys made the right decision and I admire you for staying with her.